Once you obtain your Citizen Service Number (BSN number) you will be able to open a bank account, which, consequently, is crucial to apply for the health insurance and make arrangements to receive your wages and pay taxes in the Netherlands.
What steps do I need to follow…
…to obtain my bank account?
Step 1: Choose a Dutch bank
Below you can find some of the most popular Dutch banks:
- ABN AMRO: https://www.abnamro.nl/en/personal/index.html
- Rabobank: https://www.rabobank.nl/particulieren/
- ING Bank: https://www.ing.nl/particulier/english/index.html
- ASN Bank: https://www.asnbank.nl/betalen/asn-bankrekening.html
Documents needed to open a bank account:
- Citizen Service Number (BSN)
- Valid form of identification (passport or EU national identity card)
- Residency documents: a provisional residence permit (MVV) or residence permit
- Some form of deposit for your new bank account
- An employment contract
Tip: As the process of getting the BSN number may take few weeks, it might be easier to choose the ABN AMRO bank. They will give you flexibility to open the bank and provide the BSN number afterwards.
Step 2: Book an appointment
Once you have chose the bank where you want to open the bank account, you will need to contact the local branch to schedule an appointment. You will find the contact details on the websites. Many of the brands offer a dedicated expat services. It is the case of the ABN AMRO that offers an International Clients Team (Email address: email@example.com; phone number: +31 (0)10 402 58 88 – Rotterdam).
Step 3: Attend the appointment
The process of setting up a bank account is usually quick and by the end of the appointment the bank account should be open. You will receive the debit card (in dutch pinpas) and the authorisation code (PIN) by post few days afterwards, usually through a separate delivery. Depending of the bank chosen, you may also receive a small electronic device which acts as a security measure for your online transactions (e.g. online transactions with the bank; pay bills; shop online in Dutch webshops).